Monday, August 25, 2014

Drop kick a kid

Is it ok to not care for a parent based on how the child behaves towards my own. There is a child in Leif's daycare, we will call him Butthead for conversations sake, who is down right rude and mean. Leif really wanted to go to a friends birthday party a few weeks back. In fact it was his first birthday party of his friends that he really made a stink about so we decided to take him. Butthead was there and when his mom asked him if he and Leif were friends the kid said; "sometimes yes and sometimes no."

This is where my question is: In my opinion I think this type of behavior at this age is a direct demonstration of one of the parents if not both. Is it a result of the parents behavior? Whether it was deliberately taught or not I think this would be a direct result. Ok play the devil's advocate and let's just pretend that he has no dad. Call me cold but I think the mom needs to step forward and play the dad too. I would never allow my child to walk all over me and be disrespectful to others even as a single mom. Maybe I just don't understand how tough it is but I have seen single moms raise their children, specifically boys, but no excuses for mom regardless of her background to not step forward and be there for her children and provide some sort of stability.

 If I EVER heard Leif say that I would almost immediately if not later at the first opportune moment pull him aside and discuss the fact that he was completely rude and even though it's good to be honest you must use your judgement in what you say to people. In this case, the mom just laughed.

Before I even knew what kid this lady belonged to, she would walk by me and I'd just get this feeling of fakeness. I feel awful for being judgmental but it's one of those things you can't escape. When I found out what kid belonged to her I didn't care for her even more. When I found out that her kid, is a bully and makes my kid cry, I wanted to drop kick this kid and give the mom the bird next time she smiles at me.

How much of a child's behavior towards other people a direct reflection of ones atmosphere growing up? How they were taught to love and respect those around them...if at all. I'll be talking to the director of the daycare tomorrow.

Here's what happened: Leif had an AWESOME day today. Got a sticker for being good at school, listened all evening, ate his dinner, and even washed his hair by himself for the very first time. After we read our bedtime stories I tucked him in gave him a hug and kiss and said goodnight. As I went to shut the door he stuck his tongue out at me and blew a raspberry. When I immediately opened the door to ask him why he did that he had a melt down. Said he didn't want to get into trouble and that it was just a sneeze. I reminded him that he would get in more trouble if he lied to me versus telling me the truth. That's when the waterworks came. He broke down and said he didn't want to get in trouble and that Butthead did it to him at school and called him names. I immediately came to his side and hugged him telling him that he is a smart, kind, and sweet little man. Told him to tell the teacher if this Butthead is mean to him anymore and to remember how it feels when someone is mean to him before he is mean to someone else. I wanted nothing more to unleash mama bear on this kid and give a tongue lashing to the mom at that very moment. My favorite pal crying because some kid is a bully. Now I realize is when I need to equip him with the emotional tools and intelligence to defeat bullies in the most appropriate of manners. Just gotta figure out what those are.

This just made me laugh so I decided to use it.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to give an update. Spoke with the director of VPK this morning about this bully and apparently he is only there for after school care. This kid is 9 years old! What the HELL is a 9 year old doing in my kids VPK class? AND on top of that I find out that the mom just laughs whenever her kid gets marked up and does nothing and says it's no big deal. There's your problem right there. Day said they will try and resolve it otherwise he'll be kicked out of the center. The director told me she tries to talk to this Butthead bully about being a bully and all she gets from him is, well the other kids do it to me, remark. Obviously if he isn't understanding that it's not ok to do it to others it is not ok for him to be in a class with 4 and 5 year olds.

    ReplyDelete