Monday, August 4, 2014

Photography was not the niche I was looking for...

I'm sure just like any other aspiring photographer/artist/photojournalist/whatever has always had their sights set on making some sort of money or fame with their work. I will claim to be one of those many people. I'd say I've been shooting film for about 10 years. And no I'm not just talking about putting some film in a camera for family trips. I'm talking about black and white, developing your film and printing your own pictures type of stuff. Never necessarily wanted to be super famous but the idea of selling one of them...ANY of them was pretty cosmical to me. My most fabulous of moments in college were spent in the dark room burning, dodging, and enlarging.

B&W Magnolia Tri-X 400 35mm

When I finally gave in to my prudish nature towards digital and wanting to "keep it [film photography] alive," I found myself throwing myself headfirst into a world of digital photography and image manipulation. My first lessons on photoshop were a crash course given to me by my first roommate. Mostly pure shots with slight brightness and contrast trading.

Hibiscus Digital Nikon 

After years and years of shooting my shots have become optimum shots more often with the help of being in the right place at the right time.

Cockel Shell FMB, Florida Nikon Coolpix P500

Having a wide variety of horticulture around me helps a lot too. Gives me year round chances to capture amazing events such as a perfect Orchid blooming.

Phalaenopsis Nikon Coolpix P500
I also decided to give digital photo manipulation a try. I'm no Picasso on Photoshop but I seem to be able to manage fairly well. Photoshop battles on Reddit helped me learn some amazing skills and gave me plenty of opportunities to try new techniques.

The Hulk and Jabba the Hut mashup ©KatsEye Photos

But in all this trying to sell my skills both in photo manipulation and actual shooting it just never seems to be good enough. Advertising is definitely not an option. Not to forget to mention I look around and see so many people who are doing the exact same thing I am doing and doing it better. At some point in your life I think it's important to come to a conclusion on what's a hobby and what you're good enough at to make some money. As a newly declared photo hobbyist; I have found myself not feeling so much pressure to take pictures but enjoy pictures. On that note, I hardly do anything for my hobby anymore. Dream squashed? Possibly...I look at it kind of like my dream to be an opera singer. It just wasn't realistic and I'll just continue to search for a more attainable dream. Reaching for the stars and my desire for constant self actualization and resolution is far to resounding to follow dreams I think. Guess I'll continue to look for a niche instead.








No comments:

Post a Comment