Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The non-superficial selfie challenge

I started this community on Facebook called Selfie-A-Day. I've discovered since I've started this that there are a lot of people out there who believe selfies are narcissistic and self absorbed. Especially from those who all they do is post selfies of themselves.

Whoa what's with the crazy eye color?


I'm here to tell you now that I started this to follow through on a challenge I received from my sister in law I believe almost a year ago. To take a photo of something everyday. I basically told her I didn't think I'd be able to do it. Mostly because I don't really think I'd follow through to the end if it's something that involves long term forced daily use of my cell phone. I already don't like talking on my cell phone and even though texting is much more convenient and am more like to answer you via text, I still don't care for it. Send me a postcard or a letter. I'll send one back!

that's right...I threw in a winky face.


I'd like to think that it's taken me a year to figure out what I would take a photo of everyday but I'd be being extremely facetious. And that only works in person. Procrastination is typically ended by inspiration.

Inspiration face. Hand gesture added for extra umph! 


I've considered her challenge more than once but I decided on Selfie-A-Day after watching a video on a condition called Trichotillomania. The woman who made the video had suffered from this from a very young age. I believe I had a cousin who also suffered from this for a short period of time in her life. She documented her struggles with the disease daily for 16 years and then compiled all the photos together in a video with your typical smoozy music. But it was beautiful and interesting. I never watched the video as to why she decided to document her struggles but I have my speculations.

Speculations are universal in everyone usually speculates the same thing.


While I have nothing that affects me on a daily basis except for the daily mess in my house from kids, I found myself being willing to do something similar to see if I could produce the diversity of photos with the mass of emotions displayed on a daily basis. To be real and try and display any emotion that has been the majority of my day on pixelated photos. I take photos of random things all the time on a daily basis...and if I think hard probably post them on some sort of social media networking site on an almost daily basis too. So the taking one every day is no big deal. But selfies are something I usually save for profile pictures or a sneaky way to take pictures of little busy bodies (A good way to get a clear shot of your 4 year old or 17 month is to give them a hug). And are also something that I find a bit cliché at times.

HOLLA!!


So here I am 30 days into my Selfie-A-Day challenge and am feeling pretty generic about the duration of the challenge. I am determined to make it to 365, the reason for the determination is yet to be found. So far I figure it's because the gamer inside me can't run from a challenge. I may take a hot minute...or year to get there but I'll get there and then it's game on!

Games time!

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is pretty funny, I am doing a lifestyle change blog if you want to check it out. clayboyn.com (I am still working on the code for this so it may not work.) or https://www.tumblr.com/blog/oppasithstyle (this one will for sure)

    ReplyDelete